Wednesday, November 3, 2010

What we owe

I've heard concern about the national debt and decisions by the present governing party that are causing an alarming increase. I wonder - how does today's rate of increase compare to the past several decades? I wonder - is some of today's attitude the inevitable generational fear that things are getting worse when, in fact, they are "business as usual" if one compares historical data. Then, cynically, I wonder - is the current level of concern a reaction to opposing party rhetoric? I struggle to sort through the hubbub and find unbiased data on this or any other important subject.

I searched the web for a time line of the national debt. (Disclaimer: You can't believe everything you find on the web so there are no guarantees to accuracy or impartiality.) I found several graphs that present the data in different ways.

cedarcomm.com/~stevelm1/USDebt.png

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_Federal_Debt.png

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_Federal_Debt_as_Percent_of_GDP_by_President.jpg

I'm not saying I feel better or worse after seeing the information but I welcome comments. What's your view on the subject?

2 comments:

  1. Interesting! How has personal debt fluctuated over the last 65 years?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting question, Paul. Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Are we, as a country, expecting more of our government than we expect of ourselves?

    ReplyDelete